Monday, November 29, 2010

Neil LaBute's masterpiece

Hello pumpkins! I hope everyone enjoyed the Thanksgiving holiday. My weekend included plenty of food, several dance parties, black Friday-lunatic-style shopping, a sequin dress, plenty of friends, cashmere, the rusty knot, and a riveting theatrical experience in the village. My first post after my Thanksgiving hiatus can only be focued on the masterpiece that is The Break of Noon.


In Neil LaBute's The Break of Noon at New York's MCC theatre, a horrific massacre leads the only survivor to repent and dedicate his life to God.

John Smith, played by David Duchovny, experiences a revelation of God during what should have been the final moments of his philandering life. A blinding light opens up from the sky and the voice of God assures the protagonist that his life will be spared. With an opportunity for redemption and a new life, Mr. Smith begins a personal quest for good.  The real shining light of the show was Mr. Duchovny himself, watching him perform a monologue puts you at the edge of your seat (and keeps you there).

The Break of Noon asks the age-old question of: What would you do if faced - with/when struck by/during/after - a tragedy? The premise is relatively unoriginal, but the setup is not.  Writer Neil LaBute sets up a story that can be described as exhilarating, thought provoking, and utter perfection.  For me, it was yet another reminder to get a move on with my professional life.

I loved the dialogue, the set, the performances, but most of all I loved David Duchovny! David Duchovny has an unexplainable air of cool about him. After the show he crossed my path ever so briefly, but the scent of his undying sex appeal and coolness lingered.  That scent remains on my wool/cashmere blend. A big thank you to my darling VFB for the recommendation.


What would you do if you were faced with such a horrific tragedy? Would you be inclined to change your life? What would you devote your life to? Do we all deserve a second chance?

No comments:

Post a Comment