Sunday, May 15, 2011

Please allow me to introduce myself...my new self

Exhibit A

Hello readers, and happy sunday,

I'm back and ready to share my thoughts and triumphs with anyone who will listen.

First, I'd like to provide you with a few lessons I've learned recently:

1. You can have an affordable and delicious meal at cool and trendy restaurants in New York City - please see exhibit A.  That's a photo of me at Hudson Clearwater - a cool new "hidden" restaurant in the West Village. The bartenders are skilled-samuri warriors who mix up delicious cocktails. Go there and order yourself up a couple of Hudson Mules and tell them DID sent you.

2. You can buy trendy fashions without breaking the bank. How about a pair of high-waisted linen shorts from H&M that are more elegant than expensive.

3. That the airline losing your luggage on the way to a semi-private island in Brazil can be both an exercise of creativity and the perfect recipe for new business ideas (more on this later). I had one pair of pants, one shirt, one scarf, and one sweater. The creative ways I used my available clothes surprised even me. Is this a metaphor for life? Perhaps. How about you decide and report back to me.

4. That Stephen King wrote a fantastic memoir - On Writing (that's the title and the subject of the book), that can help any creative person better understand their craft and how ideas are formed. Stephen describes the perfect storm of events that brought him to the story Carrie. I also learned the way a writer (as talented as SK) draws attention to certain details. In effect, sometimes it doesn't matter what color the curtains are just that they are drawn. Is today metaphor sunday?

5. That Proust Was a Neuroscientist.

6. Probably the most important of all the lessons I've learned in the last couple of months is that you CAN teach an old dog new tricks. As Bukowski put it in his poem titled, no leaders, please - you can (WITH A LITTLE BIT OF FOCUS), and should, invent and reinvent yourself. This corporate free diva is reinventing herself and I'm finding that I like the new me.

1 comment:

  1. Woa! Definitely feels like my favourite so far...but i have said that a few times before. I'll have to re-read to decide but until then, this post is :) and point # 6...working on that too. Next time I'm on your turf we'll have to go to Clearwater.

    ReplyDelete